Translate

Friday 7 June 2013

Chioggia to Venezia

Gee, it was a hard day in the saddle today. I mean we had to ride all of nigh on thirty kilometres, and all of it pancake flat..... with the hardest part of the day being having to manually lift my bike, on and off the various ferries on the route from Chioggia to Venice.


Some of the boats in the Chioggia canals


One of the three ferries we caught today!


My first view of the Grand Canal as we sailed past to our campsite.

Once we arrived in Punta Sabbioni, which is a port located on the southern most tip of the peninsula which separates the Venetian Lagoon from the Adriatic Sea, I set my tent up, changed out of my lycra gear (not too sure why I bothered to put it on) then headed into Venice to see what all the commotion is about. 

It's a wonderful & very photographic city but once I put my camera away, I couldn't help but feel that it had somewhat of a "theme park" feel about it. Now I am sure if I had done some research before I set out on this trip and knew which of the art galleries, historic buildings or museums, I should explore in depth I'd have got more out of it but I hadn't..... 

Bumping into my good cycling buddy Rien, as I aimlessly wandered the canals / alleyways of Venice, we convinced one another to visit a supermarket, grab a six pack of beers and to take a seat alongside the Grand Canal to chat and to just watch life go by.... 



No comments:

Post a Comment