Translate

Thursday 17 October 2013

Carbon!

OK - So I might have had the inspiration to get back out on the roads, a couple of weeks ago, but do you think I did - well no - I wimped out!

Why well basically and this is where reading cycling magazines can be an expensive proposition, not necessarily because the mags are addictive or particularly expensive but rather because in addition to coercing you  into buying more bike bling they also teach you about various aspects of riding safely... 

Essentially I remembered reading somewhere that it's always a wise idea to have the integrity of your frame checked whenever you've had a bingle, fall or what have you...

As a result whilst my bike looked & felt reasonably okay whilst it was on the indoor trainer there was one blemish on my front fork which in light of this mag's comments did give me a bit of consternation.



As a result I felt it best before joining any one of the numerous Beach Road peletons or striving for a new PB on the 1:20, both of which (for those that aren't from Melbourne) are fairly well frequented bike rides by us lycra louts, I thought I should get it professionally assessed.

As a result my bike has spent the last week or so being given the once over by Luescher Teknik wherein the owner Raoul informed me that I was right - the front fork was in technical terms - cactus / stuffed!

Not only was it weakened on the side of the fork (as above) but also at the top of the fork where it enters the frame, connects with the handlebars.

Should the forks give way under any stress who knows what form of carnage / self injury could result.

In other words there was no other option than to replace it!

Fortunately however Raoul was able to obtain a replacement!

Yeah yeah, I know I'll have to negotiate obtaining reimbursement for the cost involved with the travel insurance company, but that's a whole separate story.

The important thing is that I now have a bike that's restored to as good as new....

No comments:

Post a Comment