Translate

Monday 11 August 2014

Rest Day - Loja


OK, so we’d had a rest day not all that long ago, but…. I'm not going to complain!

Loja is a beautiful little town, is apparently one of the oldest in Ecuador and was also one of the first to be wired for electric power provided by a hydroelectric dam in the 1890s. With a population of around 200,000 and situated at around 2000 metres above sea level, it’s got a mild climate and everything a modern day traveller / tourist desires in the way of scenery, some great restaurants and a rich tradition in the arts.



For me at least, I’m not sure how many else within the peleton, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to explore South America, albeit it on the back of a bike (in theory) and I am going to jump at every opportunity I can to learn about the culture, history and cuisine of the area, as well as take in as much of the geographical highlights as I can.




With this in mind, Carmen, Julia and I decided we’d take to the streets, enjoy the atmosphere and see if we could work out what living in South America felt like. As a consequence, we wandered through the markets, amazed at the abundance of fresh fruit & vegetables, the diversity of products on offer and the mix of stalls. Ice cream vendors selling their wares, right next door to butchers with the meat just hanging from the ceiling, florists next door to fish mongers and people selling all manner of clothing & so on.


I am led to believe that Loja is a great departure point for the Amazon Basin and the El Dorado region but for me, I was just pleased to be able to take in the sights and sounds of a South American country town at leisure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment