Translate

Monday 29 September 2014

La Paz to Lahuachaca

Whilst I'd tried to ignore it for most of the day yesterday, the dreaded stomach bug reared it's ugly head several times during the night last night, leaving me somewhat exhausted and with a stomach that was constantly churning and not for want of more food. As a result the decision as to whether to ride or not was made for me.

It was with a slight sigh of relief that I didn't have to tackle the climb the road we'd descended into La Paz a couple of days earlier (it was sheer madness in terms of the conditions and the traffic alone, not to mention the gradient) but also a certain amount of disappointment at not being able to challenge myself in terms of seeing what sort of average speed I might be capable of riding at on the alto plana (flatlands) of Bolivia, whilst at altitude.

Lying in my tent as I am now, with the rain pouring down and the wind galling I've got to say, I'm glad I ended up in the truck (there were a number of people who had opted to do the same, for whatever reasons I'm not sure) cause the scenery was pretty nondescript, there were road works going on for miles (but in a totally disorganized manner, to my eye at least) and finally to top it off the weather had became a bit unpleasant as the afternoon hours ticked by. Heck, I was only able to put my tent up moments before the heavens opened and it started to pour.

No, all in all I'm glad I didn't ride today.

Oh and the stomach bug. I'm hoping like hell it passes during the night without incident, cause the idea of getting out of my tent with a shovel to do the necessaries, whilst it is raining doesn't seem to appealing.

5 comments:

  1. These all came thru today for me. I do feel for you having to deal with the off-road conditions, the difference from away from the 'comfort and familiarity' of first world cycling, as well as the weather (you lying in your tent, with minus temps got me thinking about the Great Vic in December here - we will probably be complaining about the heat and warm beer) - but the tummy bug. I don't envy that one. Sometime perhaps the experience doesn't need to be as rich and colourful!

    I just had a look at the itinerary. In about 10 days you are about half way. That means it is all down hill doesn't it - but the trip notes keep mentioning vertical climbing? I hope you have not been duped (ha ha)?

    Thanks for all the updates and photos. Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have good supplies of Lomotil....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have run out of Lomotill and will be endeavouring to pick something up from the chemist in Salta within the next day or so.

      Delete
  3. Just looking at Strava. Some serious KMs. Between KM and tummy troubles, are you but a shadow of your former self?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just put it this way I've lost six or seven kilos (at least) in the last couple of months (Suspect it was more at one stage) but have managed to put a bit of meat on my bones recently, having skipped the riding to and eating at Bike Dreams camp sites for the last couple of days and instead fast forwarding / staying at a hotel here in Salta and relaxing (being a tourist) and visiting some of the better dining establishments here in Salta, Argentina

      Delete