Translate

Monday 22 September 2014

Pucara to Puno

Guess who's expensive (and specifically purchased for this trip) tent, appears not to have a waterproof floor liner?

That's right, your's truly woke up this morning, at 5:30AM, to discover that he was floating on his sleep mat in a swimming pool. Well not quite, but essentially water had seeped through the floor wherever anything had been sitting on it. IE: My sleep mat, my day bag, my helmet, my handlebar bag and so on.

I mean sure it had bucketed down during the night, but I'd put a ground sheet down, made sure I was on flat ground and not in a hollow where water might collect and so on. I'm not sure where or why the water got in. All I know is that I've had to pack my wet tent away with the aim of hopefully drying it off in the next day or so, given that we've got a hotel tonight and tomorrow night whilst my sleeping bag is hopefully drying in my wardrobe as we speak!

If you've got any thoughts or suggestions on what may have caused it or on how I can avoid a repeat event please post a comment.

At any rate, once I'd dealt with all of my wet camping gear and so on this morning, I donned another layer or two of clothing given it was so dammed cold. and then got my bike ready for the 115KM that was to come. 


Whilst a number of us rode together for awhile this morning things did get broken up a bit when we came across the above site, with some people stopping others and others riding on...... Team Tourist of course stopped! Whether we should have or not, is debatable because whilst I'm going to assume it was built by the Incas, there wasn't any signage to indicate it's history, purpose or significance. 

So who knows..... 

At any rate, once I remounted the Troll, I decided to "put the foot down a little" thinking / hoping, that I'd become inoculated or at least somewhat immune to the affects of the altitude by now. Whilst I didn't set any land speed records, I did make up time on some of those who didn't stop at the "historical" site. Of course, I should also remind you, that being that we are currently sitting at around 3800 metres, which is some 1600 metres higher than the peak of Australia's tallest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko (2228 metres), that one's pace can drop quite suddenly for no known reason then magically reappear 10 to 15 minutes later....

Ultimately of course, I wasn't the first into town, but by the time that Carmen & Julia arrived at the hotel, I'd managed to grab a shower (cold) get changed and find out about doing a trip on Lake Titicaca to the floating reed islands.



No, this is not the boat that we took out to the islands, that was done on a rather more "commercially" orientated boat but rather it's an example of how some of the island folk, and there is seemingly a number who still live on the islands get about..... 


 I suspect someone, and I saw several cats, doesn't need tinned food.... 😊 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment