Translate

Sunday 23 July 2017

Loaded look....

In preparation for what I am proposing to do, I decided to do a fully loaded 80KM trek around the suburbs of Melbourne today. It's about what I expect, I'll be doing daily through Europe though admittedly it was perhaps a tad flatter than what I'm likely to encounter....



I just wanted a bit of confirmation that I had the weight evenly distributed and to see how the Troll handled. Sure I'll probably refine how & where I've packed things during the course of my ride, in terms of accessibility to things, but otherwise I think I've got it right. 





So what did I pack and how much does it all weigh, I hear you ask, well......


Pannier One
The weight of which was some 5.5 kilograms and comprised of 
  • Asus Laptop Computer
  • Exped Sleep Mat
  • Mont Zodiac 700 Sleeping Bag
Pannier Two



The weight of which was some 6.5 kilograms and contained
  • My SLR Camera & Two Lenses
  • A pair of jeans
  • A Windcheater
  • A second Summer cycling jersey
  • A second set of bib knicks
  • A couple of t-shirts
  • Several pairs of socks & jocks

Essentially from a clothing perspective, I've got sufficient casual gear that I don't have to go site seeing in my lycra gear. 

Cafes, pubs and casual restaurants I'm fine, anything more and I suspect a clothes shopping expedition will be required. 


Handle Bar Bag



The weight of which was less than two kilos because it only comprised of

  • My wallet
  • My phone
  • My drugs 
  • My Canon Powershot camera


Rack Pack Bag


I ran out of time, to load & fit this bag to my bike properly before I went for my test ride.... but am proposing to fill this with my "need to be able to access with ease items" in the event the weather starts to get a bit cold / wet midway through my ride. The weight comes in at around 8 kilograms, which isn't bad considering that it comprises of:

  • Exped Venus II Tent
  • Exped Tent Ground Sheet
  • A Gore - Rain Jacket
  • A Gore - Winter Jersey
  • A pair of Gore - Rain Pants
  • A pair of Ground Effect "Daddy Long Legs' tights
  • A set of Winter cycling gloves
  • A thermal long sleeved shirt
  • Some thermal pants
  • My hiking boots
So all up, I'm carrying somewhere in the vicinity of 22 - 24 kilograms of "stuff".

I mean, as someone who used to think riding a carbon road bike, as quickly & efficiently as was possible was the way to go, this feels like I've got the world on my shoulders...  Now it may of-course not be the way other's would do it, and I may be carrying more than is actually required, but we'll soon find out. 

In the meantime, I do have to be thankful that a couple of friends reminded me there's no need to pack the kitchen sink, as otherwise I suspect it would be a heavier load still. 

Now as I say, I suspect things will get moved around somewhat as I try to what works best but who knows. 

This is all very much trail and error after all......

As for today's ride, well it went OK and as a result, I think everything is on track. I just can't wait now till the adventure begins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment