Translate

Sunday 17 December 2017

Genetic Legacy

Given the significance that genetics seems to have on our susceptibility to certain medical issues being passed down the family line. IE: Breast Cancer in some families, heart health in others (such as mine), I cannot also help but wonder...

Are other personality traits or otherwise also passed on.... and I know that this is getting into the whole nature or nurture debate but the thing that got me thinking is that:

  • My father would have died somewhat alone as an alcoholic had it not been for some very unusual circumstances.
  • My father's, father died an alcoholic having lived alone in the UK for years whilst the rest of his family was here in Australia.

I know that this is something that haunted my father many, many years down the track and that he also was worried that it would happen to him and I now find myself in a very similar predicament, wondering whether this is to be my destiny also....

All I know is that right now - I've got to continue cycling. It keeps me physically active, does immeasurably good for me mentally and ensures that I eat sensibly and stay away from alcohol somewhat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment