Translate

Wednesday 10 January 2018

Nutrition

As a result of my adventures on the bike, I've become very aware of the importance of not only getting out in the fresh air but also the importance of fueling one's body sensibly, in terms of the food eaten before, after & during a ride....

Wanting to go about it sensibly, I'm looking to see what sport dietitians recommend, how the professional cyclists tackle the issue and so forth though I suspect that I'm about to get caught up in a whole lot of controversy as to what is or isn't the best approach/ diet, etc...

With my reading so far being limited to skimming a couple of cycling mags I have however come across an article which suggests (and it makes sense to me) that what we eat has an impact on our mental health as much as it does our physical one with their suggestion being that in order to alleviate / control depression, one should eat:

Daily
  • 1 Serve of nuts a day
  • 2 - 3 Serves of dairy a day
  • 3 Serves of fruit a day
  • 5 Serves of vegetables a day
  • 5 - 8 Serves of whole grains a day
Weekly
  • 2 Serves of fish a week
  • 2 - 3 Serves of poultry a week
  • 3 - 4 Serves of lean red meat a week
  • 6 or more eggs a week
Whilst it's going to be hard, adapting to that sort of diet / eating regime, when in the comfort of my own home, how I'll be able to do it on the open road, well I suspect that's a whole other issue! Any thoughts or suggestions on that aspect would be most appreciated......

No comments:

Post a Comment