Translate

Tuesday 21 May 2013

Sibari to Sapri

Whilst I must admit I am glad in many respects that we'd had a rest day at the camping ground in Sibari, the place is hardly a hive of activity. Sure the camping resort in which we stayed was fine and it gave me an opportunity to get plenty of sleep so as to get over the worst of my cold, in addition to doing a bit of shopping for the essentials I'd forgotten or been unable to pack owing to the airlines weight restrictions, it was also located in the middle of an industrial / trucking zone, which meant that there were some very "interesting" women sitting by the side of the road.... Apparently it is not uncommon in many parts of Southern Europe for the ladies of the day / night to "sell" their services to the long haul truck drivers in this fashion, but I digress.

As a result and despite feeling like "$h!t" it was actually a pleasure to get back on the bike, anticipating precisely what would be around the next corner. I mean, sure we all knew that we had a long ride ahead of us, the longest to date, with three rather substantial climbs involved, but by now these thing don't seem to matter to greatly..... 

In my mind at least, it is simply a case of taking your time and simply enjoy the views, whether that is at a slow steady pace as you climb the mountain which often provide the best excuses or should I say opportunities to stop to take photos, or at a pace as you enjoy the exhilaration of a descent down the other side. Sorry - You are unlikely to see many photos taken on these sides of a mountain. 

A village high in the hills that we detoured around somewhat during the course of today's ride.



And another. 



Roads here frequently have sweeping corners are often subject to landslides or surface irregularities all of which means it is more important than normal to keep your eyes on the road. 

A number of people have come off (without serious consequence) as I am sure I have mentioned in the past as a result of just over cooking the corner, being caught out by loose sand, gravel or cracks in the road. Fortunately I've been OK so far, though I do have to admit to going down the final descent today on one corner a lot quicker than was appropriate. Ended up missing the corner altogether and winding up in someone's driveway.

What can I say, it was a bloody stupid thing to do and it's amazing what happens when the blood rushes to your head...... Just need to keep reminding myself that it is only Stage Ten of what is to be a thirty day's riding adventure. Sibari to Sapri


No comments:

Post a Comment