Translate

Saturday 11 May 2013

Santo Stefano Quisquina to Agrigento

Today we head for Agrigento, which is apparently home to a number of ancient Greek temples and so on.

I gotta be honest and say that I never knew (or had forgotten) that the Greeks had ever resided in Italy. I mean sure I knew about my namesake - Alexander the Great I - I wasn't particularly aware however that he'd ever headed West, thinking that the majority of his accomplishments had been in Turkey and so on.

It wasn't a particularly long stage, being only eighty kilometres or thereabouts, though as you can see from the profile, Santo Stefano Quisquina to Agrigento there were a couple of hills that we had to get over in order to get to over in order to get to tonight's camp ground.

It was a little bit cool and extremely windy when we departed this morning and so jackets and arm warmers were donned by the majority of the group. As we descended and time passed, the warmth of the day meant a lot of this gear was subsequently ditched in the lunch van.....


Making it in to Agrigento early in the afternoon as we did meant that a stroll around the Valley of Temples, was somewhat obligatory and I gotta say these Greek temples which stretch across a large ridge above the coast have a rather imposing presence. Unfortunately I've taken the vast majority of memento photos on my camera, so you'll have to wait to see what till I get home to see what this place really looks like.


No comments:

Post a Comment