Translate

Sunday 30 June 2013

Wrap up on La Bella Italia

OK!


This is where I probably need to confess what I believed occurred on the Stelvio with the end of the tour within my sight / grasp, cause as you will have all probably realised by now I didn't make it to the end. 



Sure I made it to the top as the following photo proves. I even bought a jersey as a commemorative means of celebrating this achievement. I am sure you will see me riding it around town in due course even if it is now with a little bit of tongue in cheek... Okay so what happened. Well having spent almost all of my energy getting up this climb I didn't particularly listen to the vibe which seemed to be running through the group nor to my own gut instinct which was to say "Get down safely".

The number of tourist buses, motorcyclists and other cyclists on the road, along with the very nature of the descent meant things weren't going to be easy.... Sure I planned to take photos on some of the corners - the downhill route being to my mind more picturesque than what I had ridden up, not that I didn't stop on the uphill side for photo (rest stop) purposes either....

What happened as I descended however remains somewhat unknown...... One moment I was taking photos - the next about a week later - I woke up in a hospital with a couple of injuries which I still cannot account for...

  1. A left elbow that was fractured to smithereens;
  2. A suspected fractured vertabrae;
  3. Possible bleeding on the brain;
  4. A sore left knee

From what I have been able to deduce it would seem that at some point coming down the Stelvio I had a slight accident in one of the tunnels, and it was only the fast thinking and acting of a Canadian fireman was the road closed off, whilst I was airlifted off the mountain,



I have subsequently been up the road I was to have ridden (thanks to a good friend - Dave) and I could not identify any areas of particular concern / danger, nor does my bike indicate that I was hit by anyone / anything.

What I can tell you however is Thank God I was wearing a helmet.



I also owe a great deal of gratitude to countless people including
  • Canadian Firemen training manuals;
  • Nicki & Annie (fellow La Bella Italia cyclists)
  • Doutse & Wilbert ( La Bella Italia crew)
  • The Italian Air Ambulance crew
  • The Italian Hospital system

3 comments:

  1. Well, you have certainly finished in style? This will be the topic of the first coffee debrief when back in Melb. How is the bike????

    Seriously, glad to hear you are 'well' - and thank gosh for helmets. After fighting with Melbourne tram lines last Feb, and a broken helmet later, the only problem is that I have a funny looking compacted AC joint. It gives me the jitters whenever I see a rider without a helmet. Enjoy the R&R for the rest of the trip and see you when you return. Rod S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and this is taking 'Black Knight' - it is only a flesh wound - just a bit too literally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alec, I'm happy to hear good news from you. I remember that the police and me found your camera. It was with your helmet in a bag. Good luck in the future ridings. Alessandro Venturelli

    ReplyDelete