Translate

Friday 11 April 2014

The need for a new bike or (N+1) in cycling parlance!


Whilst I'm still in the process of acquiring a bike, I am asking for something that these day's is a little unique being a steel hard tail mountain bike with rim (as opposed to hydraulic disc) brakes and 26 inch wheels.

As for why I'm asking for the above, as opposed to simply using my existing bike, or alternatively buying a stock standard mountain bike with all the latest and greatest bits and pieces, well let's just put it this way - The route is going to be a little trying, to say nothing of the lack of bike shops in order to pick up spares..... Essentially and it's something I'm still trying to get my head around, the vital statistics are as follows:

  • It's a journey of 11,000 KMs, of which approximately 3,500 KMs will be on unpaved roads;
  • We can expect to do approximately 100,000 metres of climbing;
  • The altitude will vary from sea level to 4,800 metres;
  • The longest stretch of climbing is around 65 KMs;
  • The longest stretch of descending (I'm going to have to be extra careful) is around 60 KMs;
  • Temperatures are likely to vary between -15C at night in Peru to around 40C in Argentina.


No comments:

Post a Comment