Translate

Thursday 30 October 2014

Rest Day - Mendoza

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion / realisation, that I need a certain amount of time, alone where I'm left to my own devices.... and so having spoken to no one from the peleton or what have you yesterday or for the bulk of today, has done me a world of good!

Sure the consumption of some of Mendoza's finest product, wine, has helped, but being able to do my own thing, whether it be window shopping, exploring some of the sights & sounds of the city or simply stopping for a coffee, wine or bite to eat, where I like / when I like has helped put a bit of spring in my step.....

Sure I'm likely to whinge from time to time, between here and Ushuaia given that there's unlikely to be much change within the group as far as attitudes, behaviour or pleasantries are concerned, but that's life! Besides, I suspect I have a genetic predisposition to whinge! I mean it is undoubtedly part of my father's English heritage coming out in me. 

Then again, I wouldn't be such a mad keen cyclist if it wasn't for him, and his recounting stories of having ridden all over Britain and Western Europe with his mate, for weeks at a time in the fifties & sixties....

So what did I do today I hear you ask, well.... I once again strolled into the centre of town initially because I was contemplating the idea of purchasing a local SIM card for my phone, but also because I wanted to buy a coffee and soak up the sun's rays in the park!


From there, I then headed towards General San Martín Park, which is located in the city's outskirts. It hosts not only a botanical garden, but also a velodrome, a football stadium (built for the 1978 World Cup) and a zoo.


From what I can gather the name of the park is associated with the Argentinian General of the same name, who was a key contributor in the South America's successful struggle for independence from the Spanish Empire.


To the extent in fact that there's a huge memorial monument in the middle of the park, a top a small hill, referred to as Cerro de la Gloria (Glory Hill) which is dedicated to the Army of the Andes. 

Having spent a couple of hours sauntering through the park, I then decided to head back into town - time for another coffee - before returning to my hotel for a swim in the pool, to pack my bags, ensure that anything & everything that needed charging was charged and then head out to dinner. In doing so, I came across this delightful scene - then again, I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to Jacaranda trees! 


With batteries recharged literally & figuratively speaking, I headed out to dinner. I have to say I was spoilt for choice as far as restaurants were concerned and the staff at the hotel certainly put me on track by suggesting I take a visit to anyone of the places located in nearby Av Villanueva Arístides. 

Of course, I opted for a steak, with a salad and a couple of beers.... It'd be rude not too!

No comments:

Post a Comment