Translate

Monday 31 December 2018

With 2018 drawing to a close.....

I managed to ride just over 7,500 KM during the course of the year, though my goal at the beginning of the year had been 10,000 KM. 

Unfortunately time, opportunity and motivation went missing for a number of reasons at various points during 2018. 

I am pleased however that this still equates to an average of 150 KM per week. Even when I set my goal I assumed two weeks off the bike, simply to ensure round numbers, so discovering that quite by coincide that there were only two weeks where I didn't ride, pleases me. The fact that there were only 22 weeks I reached or exceeded my goal doesn't.




In a sign of just how much I shifted my cycling emphasis from being a road racer to an  adventure tourer. I discovered that I rode my:

Felt F5 Road Bike - 1,420 KM
The shortest distance this bike has done in any one year since I bought it in 2010.

Surly Troll 26" Mountain Bike - 6,090 KM
Not bad for someone who'd been hooked / raised on road bikes.

The important thing that I have learnt in looking at the numbers though is that:

  • Riding regularly beats doing big rides one week and bonking the next.
  • Riding in the heat or cold & wet, won't kill you so long as you ride to the conditions

All of which goes to prove that my initial 10,000 KM goal is realistic and that in 
2019 I will have to get serious about achieving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment