Translate

Monday 4 August 2014

Riobamba to Alausi

Feeling a better than I was yesterday, knowing I shouldn’t have any mechanical issues and then taking a look at the day’s route profile, I decided to take the truck to the lunch stop and go from there….



Once on the bike, having had a quick bite to eat, I set out toward the village of Alausi. 

In doing so, I rode past the inactive volcano Chimborzao, which I am led to believe is Ecuador's highest summit, peaking at 6268 metres. Fortunately, its last eruption is thought to have occurred sometime in the first millennium AD so I felt reasonably confident that I wasn’t going to have to peddle like nobody’s business away from a lava flow or what have you. 

Like Cotopaxi, the volcano near Quito, the summit was covered in cloud. Hence no photos….

Having spent an hour or so in the truck this morning, I read up about our destination, Alausi, and found out that apparently it got its name during the conquest of Ecuador.

At any rate, once I arrived in town on my bike, I found Hotel Europa, secured my bike, took my stuff to my rooms, tidied up and then with several colleagues went for a walk through the town. Ultimately finding a spot to sit down, have a drink and watch the world go by. Was great to enjoy the atmosphere of a small town, with all its people going about their daily lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment